Helping your aging parents can be a stressful and confusing time. With so many unknowns, it’s hard to even know what to google for answers! You can feel really alone as you navigate uncharted territory.
That’s perfectly normal.
As adult children, when imagining our parents as seniors, we can’t comprehend how their aging will affect them or us. We don’t like to think about our loved ones declining mentally or physically. However, preparing for this chapter with our parents can save us (and them) from a lot of stress.
My guests Kim and Mike Barnes have first-hand experience in parenting aging parents. Listen in to discover how to tackle the emotional and practical challenges of being a caretaker. Plus, some important discussions that you should be having before you need them with your parents.
Show Highlights Include
- When’s the right time to start planning for your parents’ golden years (16:17)
- Three fundamental questions to address to make sure you can take the best care of your parents when they get older (17:55)
- The most important document you need for medical emergencies (and why you should have this well in advance) (18:08)
- Why asking your parents about their financial situation is an act of kindness (even if money is an uncomfortable topic of conversation in your household) (22:06)
- How to use the “caregiver’s key” guidebook to avoid uncomfortable conversations with your parents (22:53)
- How to manage the responsibilities coming with parenting your parents and kids at the same time (and why it’s basically the same) (31:36)
- How to find community and resources online to help you overcome the challenges you may face as a caretaker (36:56)
- Why understanding the generational gaps is key in navigating the emotional aspects of having aging parents with empathy (39:11)
**FREE RESOURCES & SOCIAL LINKS***
Interested in coaching with Brilliant Balance? Schedule an exploratory call here: https://brilliant-balance.com/schedule
Subscribe to The Brilliant Balance Weekly and we’ll deliver it to your digital doorstep each Tuesday: https://brilliant-balance.com/weekly
Need a few moments of peace? Listen to our free 5 Minute Meditation: https://brilliant-balance.com/breathe/
Follow us on Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/brilliant_balance
Join our private Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/281949848958057
30 Days to Vibrant Energy: https://brilliant-balance.com/energy
Learn more about Parenting Aging Parents by visiting their website: https://ParentingAgingParents.com as well as Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/parentingagingparents