Last week, I had the privilege of hosting our annual Brilliant Balance Client Retreat. It’s a close-to-my-heart experience where clients from all over North America take over Cincinnati, OH (our Brilliant Balance headquarters) for two jam-packed days of fun, inspiration, and absolute glee at being together IRL.
This year’s theme was Storytelling. And it was based on the idea that each one of us, even if we don’t realize it, are writing, editing, and sharing our story every single day.
At this event, the energy in the room was buzzing from minute one. As we listened and talked and laughed and cried and hugged and shared our stories and experiences, we were reminded of what it feels like to be a part of something bigger than ourselves. By the time we were clinking our glasses together during cocktail hour, we were connected. We were open. We were STRONGER.
I thought I’d share a piece of one of the frameworks we used with you here. The idea is to connect with yourself as someone who can live out a BRILLIANT story.
What Makes You a Story-Worthy Character?
- Take out a piece of paper or open a new document on your computer.
- Write down 5 positive traits about yourself. (Note: These are the characteristics that you’ll lean on to carry you through the challenges ahead.)
- Now write down your CURRENT PROBLEM: What needs to change, be fixed, or be addressed to make your life better?
- Write down your WANT: What goal are you pursuing? What would be better than having this problem?
- Confess your NEED: What life lesson do you need to learn?
- And finally, summarize your WHY: Why do you want to or need to change your life? You need to be completely bought into the reasons OR you may give up when the challenges and conflicts, especially the unexpected ones, start to appear.
Jot all this down quickly – you can always edit until you’re happy with it. Hang it on your bathroom mirror or at your desk, anywhere you can look at it each day and remind yourself of who you are and what you’re going after.
What we learned at Client Retreat is that we are all story-worthy characters. We are qualified to write, edit, and publish our next chapters in whatever way we see fit. And with a little bit of support, we can make sure it includes a happy ending.
I hope to see you at next year’s client retreat. It’s a real game changer. If you want to make sure you get an invite, get some time on my calendar to talk about my coaching programs and see if one is right for you.